Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Wed Jan 22 10:15:39 UTC 2014

The thinking is simply that we can solve this and we can solve it in a way that isn't detrimental to the user experience of Fedora users.

It is already likely there will be some changes in the Fedora kernel policy due to the Cloud WG wanting a different kernel, so as part of the process going forward there will be negotiations between the different WGs and with the Fedora kernel team to figure out what the different needs are, what is viable within the constraints of the resources we have, what are the possibilities and challenges each available solution bring.

But to address one concern that might be there, even if we wanted to we do not have the manpower to do a RHEL style kernel policy, so no matter what happens that will not be the solution.

But at the end of the day the the answer is 'trust us'. The how part here is a technical problem I personally plan on leaving to the domain experts. In the form of Josh and the Fedora kernel team we have the lessons learned over the last decade inside the team and I am sure Josh can confirm that he and the Fedora kernel team is not planning to accept changes that will create an unsustainable situation for them or their users.

Of course if there are people on this list who think they are better at maintaining the kernel for Fedora than Josh and his team, feel free to step forward with a proposal for taking over the job, if you can convince FeSCO you are better suited I would be a happy man ,as it means I can assign Josh and the guys to work on various other kernel related projects inside Red Hat.

Christian