Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 22 11:59:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:58 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On 01/22/2014 10:40 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:20 AM, Christian Schaller wrote:
>>

>>     So between Josh and Red Hat graphics team
>>     I hope you can trust that we have the right people on board to find
>>     a solution if a solution is possible.
>>
>> I am sorry but  "Trust us" is not enough.
>

> For ages, kernel devs have been telling users tainted kernels (Such as those
> being tainted by NVidia kernel modules) would be unmaintainable and
> unmanageable due to lack of open sources. Has this situation changed?

Not really.

> Also, users frequently have been told the legal situation of NVidia's binary
> kernel-blobs was at least "unclear", with some saying it was illegal. Has
> this situation changed?

I'm not a lawyer and cannot give legal advice.  All I can note is that
there is a significant portion of the upstream kernel community that
does not believe in proprietary kernel modules.  If something were to
happen along these lines, that will definitely have to be taken into
account.

josh