Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Jan 22 14:35:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 09:21:44AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> > That surprises me a little - I'd assumed that this wouldn't have been
> > proposed without some prior discussion about how it could be
> > implemented.
>
> The proposal is about 3rd party repositories in the general sense.
> Yes, such a repository could contain a closed-source driver, but as
> noted it would need to be approved first.  That is done on a
> case-by-case basis, so I would think the natural time to discuss that
> specific repo and it's technical implications would be when it was
> getting vetted.

If one of the primary motivating factors for shipping non-free
repositories by default is hardware enablement, I think figuring out
whether that's technically possible is meaningful. If it's not
technically possible then the value of the change is diminished, and
that may mean that it's not worth having the non-technical discussion at
all.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org