other ways of working with third party vendors [was Re: Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software]

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Wed Jan 22 16:05:48 UTC 2014

Well it feels a bit weird to say that it would defile our values to
allow these applications to appear in the app installer, yet it is
perfectly aligned with our values to work to make sure they appear in
the browser.

I mean if we start converting the appinstaller into a web browser, at what
point does this become ok?

But to answer your question, we could for instance make a browser extension
that searches the web for Fedora repositories, repositories which we have
worked with the third-party vendors to make sure they contain metadata we
can have the extension nicely display and then present in the web browser
maybe with enable/disable buttons like the extensions.gnome.org site.

Christian