other ways of working with third party vendors [was Re: Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software]

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jan 22 16:24:29 UTC 2014

> Personally I think it would be both better and less controversial to
> work on something like a cross-distro F/OSS platform for third party
> software - i.e. a Steam not owned by Valve. I think if we (all
> distributions) have something like that, it makes the experience much
> better for both third party distributors and users, without compromising
> the principles of distros like Fedora, who can maintain their bright
> line between their ecosystem and this external one in whichever way they
> prefer.

This isn't a cynical 'energy diversion' tactic, BTW - you can find me
arguing for this (quite passionately) on the public record in several
places long before this discussion began. Those of us opposed to this
proposal don't have our heads in the sand, and we have thought about the
issues you identify.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey