Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 22 16:35:40 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Pete Travis <lists at petetravis.com> wrote:
> From the Fedora perspective, there are users who have Fedora who also want
> to use the Nvidia blob, and your proposal is to enable them. It makes sense,
> in the sense that you are working to solve Fedora problems, where you have
> some influence. "Fedora supports Nvidia" doesn't fly though, and regardless
> of the language you use or implementation details like shipping metadata
> instead of binaries, that *is* the perceived message of your proposal.

A small but important clarification here.  In the proposal, Fedora
would not ship binaries and would not ship metadata.  It would not
ship anything related to a 3rd party repository other than knowing the
web-accessible location of a repository.  It is, in effect anyway, the
equivalent of doing a "google: nvidia linux repository" in a software
installer.

I'm not elaborating on the broader story, but I did want to clarify
the technical details.  Fedora is not shipping anything in this
proposal.

josh