Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Jan 22 22:20:26 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 05:04:06PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Once we take that step, Adam's suggestion honestly makes the most sense to
> me - a web service exists that third parties can register their repositories
> with. They'd register what format they're providing software in/for (yum
> repos, apt repos, etc.), what OSes/releases they're targeting (Fedora, RHEL,
> Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, whatever), and some metadata (keywords, icons, etc.).

I know this isn't really the right place for exploring implementation
details, but whoever's providing that service is going to have a pretty
thankless task in terms of dealing with alleged copyright and patent
infringement. And unless whoever's hosting it is aggressive about patent
stuff, we're effectively shipping something that's a checkbox away from
giving users RPMFusion. That seems like the kind of thing that's
potentially problematic.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org