Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Jan 22 22:24:31 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 13:37 -0500, Christian Schaller wrote:
>
>> Our influence with the rest of the world and promoting freedom rests on us having users and obviously the
>> way we have been building Fedora and the policies around Fedora used so far is not giving us that.
>
> This is the bit of the movie where the background music turns ominous
> and the hero is offered a choice: stick to his principles and tough it
> out, or accept the apparently small compromise in one little corner of
> his value set which will allow him to spread the rest of that value set
> to the world. Right?

Or it just might be the bit of the movie where the hero realizes that
he's been wrong his entire life, and makes a drastic change to save
himself and the world.

(I think these kinds of arguments are technically silly - it's not
even appeal to authority, it's appeal to entertainment! - but stories
are a powerful way to persuade, so I wanted to have both sides equally
represented also in the silly-but-powerful-argument area.)
    Mirek