Working around the Board's decision on non-free software

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 24 15:26:15 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Eric H. Christensen
<sparks at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Well that didn't take long.  The Desktop WG appears ready to work around the specific wording we used (which was one of my objections) and find a way to include non-free software in searches, now without any kind of notification that the software is non-free[0].  I'm not sure why anyone would think that this isn't a violation of our basic foundations.

To be clear, the Workstation WG has not agreed to or enacted upon
working around anything.  The majority of the WG is not involved in
that thread at all.  Please refrain from lumping a set of people into
your aspersions that are clearly not involved in any way.

Also, I don't think asking for clarification on the Board's stance and
determining what is allowable based on the agreed "The board believes
that reducing technical barriers to explicit user choice to install
third-party software (non-free or otherwise) is compatible with
Fedora's foundations. " statement is at all nefarious or even
unexpected.  There were questions asked, and two Board members are
trying to help clarify things as they are asked.

josh