Openness and naming... board lists, issue tracker, and channels

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 5 20:05:17 UTC 2014

The Fedora Project Board has a public mailing list, a private mailing list,
a public IRC channel, and a ticket tracking system. This is all fine, but
there are couple of quirks I'd like to straighten out.

First, there is no such thing as the "Fedora Advisory Board". It's the
"Fedora Project Board", or often for short just Fedora Board. The list name
causes confusion, and possibly reinforces the incorrect idea that the
Board's charter is _just_ to give advice. So, I'd like to change the mailing
list to "board". And the same thing with the #fedora-advisory-board IRC
channel, to #fedora-board.

Second, the issue tracker https://fedorahosted.org/board/ is private. The
board does need to deal with some sensitive issues so we need a private
instance, but most tickets can and should be public. It looks like trac
plugins to mix private and public tickets are kind of painful. And because
there is a lot of stuff in there which was filed with the expectation of
privacy, we can't just open that one up. So what I suggest is: a) we rename
the existing trac and move all of its tickets to "board-private" (which
matches the mailing list name) and b) we create a new, public trac named
"board".

Does this sounds sensible to everyone? Any objections? I know some of it is
shuffling bits around, but now seems like as good a time as any (and a much
better time than in another decade).

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>