Openness and naming... board lists, issue tracker, and channels

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 19:19:45 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 04:35:56PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > The Fedora Project Board has a public mailing list, a private mailing list,
> > a public IRC channel, and a ticket tracking system. This is all fine, but
> > there are couple of quirks I'd like to straighten out.
> >
> > First, there is no such thing as the "Fedora Advisory Board". It's the
> > "Fedora Project Board", or often for short just Fedora Board. The list name
> > causes confusion, and possibly reinforces the incorrect idea that the
> > Board's charter is _just_ to give advice. So, I'd like to change the mailing
> > list to "board". And the same thing with the #fedora-advisory-board IRC
> > channel, to #fedora-board.
>
> I'm not really sure changing the list to board (or board-discuss) is
> really necessary, but I'm not majorly opposed.  List migrations are
> always a large pain though.  The IRC channel is used infrequently
> enough that renaming it shouldn't be a big deal at all.  Or just
> disbanding it, since we never actually meet there.
>
> > Second, the issue tracker https://fedorahosted.org/board/ is private. The
> > board does need to deal with some sensitive issues so we need a private
> > instance, but most tickets can and should be public. It looks like trac
> > plugins to mix private and public tickets are kind of painful. And because
> > there is a lot of stuff in there which was filed with the expectation of
> > privacy, we can't just open that one up. So what I suggest is: a) we rename
> > the existing trac and move all of its tickets to "board-private" (which
> > matches the mailing list name) and b) we create a new, public trac named
> > "board".
>
> This sounds like a decent plan.  I might advocate for simply closing
> all tickets in the current instance or migrating them to the public
> one so we start with clean slates.

If they're there because they're sensitive, closing would make more
sense, but +1 otherwise.  I would love to see this list (or rather,
the list it becomes) once again have signs of life and constructive
discussion.  No one person can be accountable for that, though; it's
really up to us subscribers.