[Fedora-ambassadors-list] RedHat v/s Fedora Events

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 9 00:45:08 UTC 2006

Fedora might not have a booth as .org (here in Strasbourg, France), great !!!!

After more than two hours of discussion (on thursday night) with local
LUGs members about Fedora's presence as an organization, it might
happened that I can't convince my lugs members (and myself). I WAS
introduced to the Fedora Project.

It all started with :
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2006-April/msg00016.html
(which I haven't read before)
versus the initial objectives of the Fedora Project.

Below are some of the topics discussed, please don't try to fool me
around with URLS.

I've already made myself a fool today, (thanks) and if there's no
CONCRETE information given to Fedora Ambassadors, personally The
Fedora Ambassador project needs to be revised.

I've nothing against with Red Hat but instead I feel that Fedora is
making a fool out of us, free contributors.

#001 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnleashKDE

KDE will be Extras soon for the release of Fedora Core 7, according to
UnleashKDE.
Really unleash isn't the right word here, it sounds like DUMPING KDE.

Question 1a:
The Fedora Project is a community driven project, sponsored by Red
Hat. But here, it shows clearly that there are 2 groups, Red Hat and
Community. In this wiki page, there's a lot of 'Red Hat's.

Answer 1a:
To answer this Q1, I've listed the authors on this wiki page :
RahulSundaram : (starter) Red Hat
Rex Dieter : Community
PatrickBarnes : Community, I guess from my private chat on IRC with him.

Question 1b:
Fedora Ambassadors are requested to stay neutral concerning KDE and
GNOME. It is clear that moving KDE from Core to Extras this is not
Neutral!!

Answer 1b:
It doesn't make any difference because anaconda will have integrated
features to choose Extras packages during the Install.

Personal thoughts:
Fedora will turn out to be like Ubuntu, where there will be paid
developpers from Canonical to work on gnome.
And also this contradicts greg's words on the Umeet Conference:
http://umeet.uninet.edu/umeet2005/talks/?lang=en&s=fedora
@gregdek	* And Fedora Ambassadors, in which we encourage individuals
to be advocates for Fedora, Linux and open source in their
communities, and to whom we provide as much support as we can in doing
these things.

This means that we, the community and Fedora ambassadors, shall
advocate KDE with Fedora, since there sounds like to be a division
between Red Hat and Community.

Ambassadors were once told in the Ambassador wiki page to redirect any
discussions concerning RedHat towards RedHat representatives.
This statement is not longer available on the wiki. Why ?

#002 -- #004 TO BE CONTINUED !!

Just to end (for today), how can the community help the project if
event organizers such as Linuxtag (Wiesbaden) does not consider Fedora
as an organisation ? It's true that now, Mac's email is supporting
Linuxtag's statement.

Chitlesh GOORAH
--
http://clunixchit.blogspot.com