[Fedora-ambassadors-list] RedHat v/s Fedora Events

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Sun Apr 9 07:16:17 UTC 2006

> #001 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnleashKDE
>
> KDE will be Extras soon for the release of Fedora Core 7, according to
> UnleashKDE.
> Really unleash isn't the right word here, it sounds like DUMPING KDE.

Well, actually I think it would be a good thing for KDE in Fedora. I'm a KDE
user, and I use Rex Dieter's KDE packages from kde-redhat.sf.net.
The work he (and the kde-redhat team, but mainly he) does on these packages
is absolutely outstanding. He proposes the latest KDE, the day it's out,
for every FC release since even the days of Red Hat 7.3, plus RHEL 3 & 4.
And the packages are of extremely good quality.

If the KDE packages can be maintained by the community, including of course
Rex, (+ the current Red Hat maintainer) instead of the current Red Hat
maintainer only, I'm convinced KDE would get much more love and be much
more polished than it is now. The kde-redhat team just knows KDE better.

In my opinion, "Unleash KDE" is the right word. But since Fedora is commited
to proposing both environments at install time, we need to be able to
install from Extras in Anaconda, plus we need to do the work of moving KDE
out of core, with all the dependencies, and that's just a lot of work.

Aurélien.
http://aurelien.bompard.org  ~~~~  Jabber : abompard at jabber.fr
enthusiastic about." -- Albert Einstein