[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Lille (France) presenation report

Thomas Canniot thomas.canniot at laposte.net
Wed Apr 12 20:07:01 UTC 2006

Hi everybody, I gave yesterday evening a presentation of the Fedora
Project thanks to Aurelien Bompart's slides. This was my first
experience in presenting the Project publicly, as if it was a kind of
session.

It happened during the monthly LUG meeting called "Les Mardis du
Libre" (Free Tuedays). About 15 people were attending, regular ones
-with their very good knowloedge of the open-source movement- and new
ones as well.

Some regular ones, essentially gentoo and debian users, were constantly
attacking me gentily about some aspects of the distribution :

Fedora and Red Hat : Beeing with Red Hat is a bad thing from their point
of view, because fedora is controlled by RH and is not independant.
I kept on telling them it is a good thing because of the support,
infrastructure, development, money, guidelines (...) RH is giving to
Fedora. They were hard to convinced on this topic. They were arguing
that Debian was surviving thanks to its ideas and ideals, but one of
them told that there were a lot of money on Debian bank accounts as
well. :)

They were as well very doubtless about the fact that Fedora is including
bleeding edge technologies and still remains stable AND easy to use. I
could only tell them to try Fedora :)

During an explanation about Core and Extras and about the duplication
apps moving to Extras, Someone asked me if KDE would one day be slipped
into Extras. I said "probably, or probably not, the question is still
pending."

Well i knew most of the guys that were there, they were testing me
harshly and teasing me a lot, even if their questions sometinmes were
really good questions about the distro and the way we work.

Thomas Canniot