[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Report : Event Lan

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 23 12:30:27 UTC 2006

Report;

This LAN gaming was a 2 days event.

My speech had a duration of one and half hour, which was about OSS and
how easy is to use them.

Things i've discussed:

- mp3 versus ogg
- licenses : GPL, Propriety, BSD , which was very interactive.
- intelligent downloading with yum
- XGL, I used my girlfriend's dapper to do that.

In the end, there was questions, lots of questions. I was surprised.

Nevertheless, there was some propositions too,

A guy told me that he shifted from Fedora to Ubuntu, just because he
did a yum update from FC4 to FC5  which failed. At his disposal was
ubuntu breezy, so he gave it a try. In accordance to him, there is a
lack of tutorials for users (for FC) that missing compared to Ubuntu.
See http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100 (note he wasn't
talking about patents softs)

Eg. Which I tried myself and gave up to sleep.
When Fedora Core 5 is installed on a USB harddisk ( which any new
linux user will do), after a successfull installation, it won't boot
from the USB just because the drivers are not modprobe before seeking
the kernel. Some of the linux users gave up, Fedora for Ubuntu for
this reason, because they found a howto some how on the internet. e.g
what my girlfriend did :
http://zerlinna.blogspot.com/2006/03/dual-boot-on-external-usb-drive-with.html

Most of the linux users there are using Ubuntu, for the mere simple
reason Ubuntu's ShipIt. These guys don't go to each linux events which
are hardly enough in their locality. So no Fedora DVDs!

In fact, I think, many users have given a try to Fedora, because they
heard so much about it. But in the end, they don't have enough
materials online to continue their journey with it. Personnally it is
something the Fedora Project should work on. Fedora Marketing is
working good, but the achievement is not durable.

Regards,
Chitlesh Goorah
--
http://clunixchit.blogspot.com