[Ambassadors] Name for future Fedora distribition?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sun Dec 3 16:25:45 UTC 2006

On Sunday 03 December 2006 08:51, Thomas Canniot wrote:
> > For open source software includes in Ubuntu that canonical doesnt
> > support and which is disabled by default. Canonical supported set is
> > called main. It is very roughly equivalent to Fedora Extras.
>
> And about Fedora Linux, don't you think the FSF will come and say that
> we have to say GNU/Linux ?

"Linux" is a shared name we all have, thanks to the kernel.  However, a
package "Universe" is something "invented" by Canonical for the Ubuntu
project.  Copying their name for our pile of packages doesn't make sense.  It
confuses the marketspace a bit, and I think we'd rather not steal a Ubuntu
name.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora