[Fedora-ambassadors-list] First day at Solutions Linux

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Wed Feb 1 22:22:21 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Today I spent my first day presenting Fedora at Solutions Linux in Paris.
This is a primary report.

* About Fedora :
- Most people have already heard of Fedora
- Usually people know that Fedora is the successor of Red Hat Linux
- They don't usually know that there Red Hat is still working on it
- They don't usually know that there is also a community behind it now
- They don't usually know about other sub-projects, not even Fedora Extras.

* Technically :
- People have a worse hardware detection experience with Fedora than with
Ubuntu or Mandriva (very popular in France), usually as regards to Wi-Fi
cards. This is (IMHO) because non-official drivers (as in "not in
upstream's kernel) are not included in Fedora, and most WiFi drivers are
still young, thus not included upstream. Hardware detection is still very
important when choosing a distribution
- Most people don't know about SELinux
- Some people are interested in Xen and virtualization (it seems in the
current hype)
- I've had a very interesting argument with a python developer about the
fact that there is only one version of python in Fedora, what to do to make
multiple versions installable, and what would the advantages be (mainly two
words : Zope & Plone). I currently maintain Zope and Plone in Extras, and I
confirm its a mess with the very up-to-date version of python that Fedora
ships. I'll post on fedora-devel-list about that, and see if something can
be done.

* Logistics
- DVDs where distributed very fast, I had to ration visitors
- T-shirts are slower, people don't expect them to be free so they don't ask
for it. I'm confident I'll give them all away before tomorrow evening
though. A small "Free T-Shirts" sign should do the trick :)
- Beeing on another association's booth is ok, but it's much much better to
have a Fedora booth.
- The Fedora Ambassadors Project should recruit as much as possible to be
able to correctly man the boothes. Having several ambassadors in the same
zone is not a problem.
- People like the business cards :) We should add the URL on the template.
What is the font used for the logo by the way ? I'll post my modified
template for the only business card paper I could find (Canson) after the
event.

I'll post the slides I've made for the event when it's over (I make small
fixes from time to time). They're in french, and it's a general Fedora
presentation.

If you have questions or things you think I should do tomorrow (last day),
feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Aurélien
http://aurelien.bompard.org  ~~~~  Jabber : abompard at jabber.fr