[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Be a critique

Clair fedora at freehold.no-ip.info
Tue Feb 21 15:35:40 UTC 2006

Pablo Barrera Franco wrote:

> Anaconda no more!
> I think that the ananconda installer is out of date. Mandriva installer
> is the best linux installer so far. A resizing module,
> and expert and common user interface is the best option.

I actually like Anaconda. It's easy to use.

> No modular control center
> Dont have a control center unified like SuSE or Mandriva is another
> difficulty. No internert sharing wizzard with ease of use,
> No Cuztomization of services,, bad Network manager, no wizzards, no
> integrated GUI Firewall (firestarter could be an option)

Eurgh.. I hate SuSE's control panel...

> Up2date? Yum extender? or KLIK!
> Yes, we have klik a MacOS style installer. A synaptic like interface
> with rpm packages is the best option. Yum extender even is not
> official is worst than Synaptic.
>
> How to replace
> Leave behing up2date...for ever...

up2date has been removed from FC5 :)

> Too much cds...too much bleeding edge
> When we make an update from a common workstation we need at least 100MB
> of updates anyway. So, why not release a
> single cd with the most commonly packages and manage the others via
> Internet?
> Ubuntu has more aceptance cause they have a single cd. For some
> countries is too much embarrasing to do this... accesibility
> is the key...
>
> How to replace
> Only one cd is enoguh for an installation. Yum will do the rest of the
> work...

I have to agree with that.. a one-disc install would be nice. I noticed
that Debian/Ubuntu gets packages from the internet - why can't Fedora? (If
people want the packages on CD, then I think the 4 CD pack/1 DVD is still
quite nice) - why can't we have both?

Clair