[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Be a critique

Thomas Canniot thomas.canniot at laposte.net
Tue Feb 21 18:25:04 UTC 2006

Le mardi 21 février 2006 à 18:37 +0100, Pawel Sadowski a écrit :
Hi,
> I agree with Rahul, the system on 4 CDs or one DVD is a good solution.
> And for those, who want to install needed packages via the Internet,
> there is a network installation available. But the official Live CD
> would be something wonderful :)

I think that a one cd installation like ubuntu is NOT a good idea for
the simple reason that on a single disc, the packages that we have to
get rid of are the language packages. And if these packages are needed
during the installation, like ubuntu, an internet connection is
required. But many people do not have an ethernet connexion with dhcp.
Many still have a usb modem, which make impossible the download and make
the distribution harder to configure.

> > Anaconda no more!
>
> I don't agree at this poing. I personally like Anaconda and I think we
> should continue using and improving this installer, it's also respecting
> of Fedora's history. I think we should avoid importing solutions from
> other distros, it's important to save our origin (you know what I
> mean...). We should rather focus on improving our ideas and inventions.

I like anaconda very much, far more than Mandriva's installer. However
it needs improvements with yum, through bug report, on speed i think.

> > Bluecurve makes me remember Red Hat 9, GNOME or KDE, of both?
> > yes is a theme, could not be a valid argument. SimpleKDe is the best
> > option for a single cd installer. If some one wants gnome download it
> > and run it!
> >
> > How to replace
> > KDE simple is the next generation of desktop or XPDE,,,,(more better,
> > faster and cheaper (Mathew dixit in Summit 2005)
>
> I like GNOME and the Bluecurve theme. In my opinion GNOME should be
> still a default graphical environment. The two environments should be
> available during the installation and if somebody wants KDE, he can
> choose it.
The theme question is not a relevant topic from my point of view as
themes can be changed in a very easy way.

> That's my opinion. We should respect our history and traditions.
> That's all :)
>
> Regards,
> Pawel Sadowski
Regards,