[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Be a critique

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 22 12:11:36 UTC 2006

Aurelien Bompard wrote:

>>Rhetoric: Well, if they are not good enough for the kernel, why should
>>they be good enough for Fedora users?
>>

>Sure that is the official reason. But go tell that to someone who does not
>have internet connection with Fedora, but does with Ubuntu/Mandriva/SuSE.
>He won't think Fedora is a higher-quality distribution, quite the contrary.
>
>If a user has to choose between "not working" and "working but could crash",
>I'm pretty sure he won't hesitate long.

Long term maintenance triumphs features in both upstream kernel and in
Fedora. It is important that we recognize that the pace that we move in
is inherently tied to staying close to the upstream sources. If we
deviate we will have a bunch of kernel patches that will conflict with
the new version and we wouldnt be able to release anything till we fix
those or have people struck up on the old releases because the patches
havent caught up.  I have had similar questions asked in FUDCon recently
and it does take a bit more time to explain and everybody who bothered
to listen to the explanation went away satisfied. This is very similar
to the way we deal with Winmodems for example.

> But merging a driver in the kernel can take a long time. People with a
> new
>
>USB modem need the internet access as fast as possible.

Doing the right thing can sometimes mean waiting for the solution to be
properly done.

--
Rahul