[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Be a critique

Rodrigo Menezes rodrigomenezes12 at yahoo.com.br
Wed Feb 22 14:29:21 UTC 2006

And wizzards are another key feature.

Rodrigo Menezes <rodrigomenezes12 at yahoo.com.br> escreveu: I still think that all we need is (not love) documentation, in local language, translated or created to local users.

For example, in Brazil, is hard to find someone who read English (speak is even harder). We need a local documentation, not too technical. Something to help new users, that only know the Power Button, the MSN program and Internet Explorer. This is our biggest target and biggest challenge.

Doesn't matter if all technician users start using Fedora, the biggest target still the normal user, that almost doesn't use a computer.

Rodrigo Menezes

David Barzilay <barzilay at redhat.com> escreveu: Em Ter, 2006-02-21 às 13:38 -0300, Pablo Barrera Franco escreveu:
> All the FOSS community have a very BIG problem. We develope software
> thinking about what W! E WANT  from an Operating System and not what
> the People NEED to use. That´s why Linux doesnt grow on desktop
> acceptance for example.

Hi Pablo and All,

I wanna take this topic discussion further.

Long ago I realised we got a confusing Marketing positioning (not even
talking about a plan yet).

It is time for us, as Ambassadors, to define our target. In other words,
to better understand who are the potential Fedora users.

No! I don't accept that answer that everyone is a potential Fedora user.
Sorry, but I think that getting grandmas to use open source shouldn't be
our focus...nothing against them, please (I was raised by my granny)

That said, I have an idea of who we should focus on from observing and
experiencing Fedora communities in the last 3 years.

The way I see it, if we want to hit the masses, highly technical people
shouldn't be part of our "focus groups". But IT students and teachers,
edu! cation  and government computer users, enthusiasts and newcomers from
different walks of life.

Personally, I believe we ought to target normal users, not developers,
sys admins, IT consultants, etc.

Hang on! I'm not going against all techies here (I wouldn't dare). But
techies know how and where to get info and help while normal users are
totally lost in the open source arena.

We need to define once and for all who should we approach (maybe
different targets in different situations), otherwise our actions will
get lost in space with our dispersed communications.

Thoughts?

Best,
--
db