[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Fedora-based Distro

Tejas Dinkar tejasdinkar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 17:15:06 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 22:02 +0500, REDbyte Labs wrote:
> Hi all! Some days ago I had a talk with representive of United
> Nations Development Programme (Damir Amirov) here in Uzbekistan, they
> are really interested in Linux and OSS,

Wow!!! That is So c00L!!!!

>  and they planning to lauch a linux project by the end of the year. So
> together we had a look on existing distros and guessed that none
> matches for local users, and Damir offered to create team and make own
> distro.

Good Luck. It is very important to create localised versions. However,
remember this: if you make some changes to a program to include your
language, tell the original makers of the program, so that they can also
use your changes

> So can we use Fedora Core 4 as basis for making National Operatning
> System? Or it would be illegal and we shouldn't do it?

Please Remember that Fedora, and everything that is included in it is
free software.

Free as in Freedom,

You have the freedom to modify it as you wish.

However, modifying the packages may be tricky. Most of the packages in
the Fedora Core are GPLed. This means that you can change the package as
you wish. However, you must release the source code of the new package
to the public as well.

I think this applies to Fedora Core itself (although I'm not sure)... If
you change Fedora Core, you must explain how.

Gja

--
Tejas Dinkar - tejasdinkar AT gmail DOT com

Brain off-line, please wait.