[Ambassadors] Sponsored Media

Karlie Robinson karlie.robinson at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 14 13:24:06 UTC 2006

Alex Maier wrote:
 > And yes, of course, congratulations, everybody involved, and
 > especially Karlie Robinson, who initiated this project!

Thanks Alex.

Some things I've noticed about what is working...

* Project endorsement with "Give the Gift of Fedora" at
http://www.redhat.com/fedora/ That was the point where the sponsorships
really took off.

* Stars at OnlineVendors - When ThomasChung updated the list and added
the gold stars info at the top of the page, my site stats showd a
significant increase in traffic coming from
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/OnlineVendors
While the stars were there when SponsoredMedia started, the symbol key
stating what it meant was at the bottom of the page.  The star's move to
the top of the OnlineVendors page brought the numbers of visitors from
OnlineVendors to just about equal those coming from SponsoredMedia.

So we know those two things are working.  The question... Is there a way
to duplicate this outside of the RH/Fedora Brand areas?

If not, what should we try?

Because what's happening, is the people who are starting their search
for Fedora are catching a little 'good-will'

'Free as in Freedom' is hitting home.  Many users now understand the
financial burden many projects carry.  As such, they are choosing to
support FOSS at an ever increasing level. And while Fedora doesn't ask
it's users to cover operational costs it seems the users are willing to
support the Fedora Project by sponsoring FreeMedia (thus removing the
financial burden from the individual Ambassadors)

How can we get more people aware of the good filling FreeMedia requests
does for Fedora as a whole?  (by increasing the installed base...
creating new fans..etc)

As a side note, and something we may not be able to duplicate, was Max's
suggestion to eliminate the half and full share choices at On-Disk.com.
  The only choice is to order two FC5s - one for them, one for
FreeMedia.  It makes it easier for people to become generous - no
cop-outs.  You can read more about how we're doing it by visiting
http://on-disk.com/content.php?citem=on-disk/2006/Fedora-FreeMedia.php

~Karlie