[Ambassadors] Re: [Fedora-ambassadors-list] Fedora Event Kit

Jack Aboutboul jaboutboul at speakeasy.net
Mon Jul 17 17:47:38 UTC 2006

Hey,

Sorry for the delayed response, too much to do, too little time.
Anyway, below are my responses to your comments/concerns.

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 16:21 +0200, Frederic Hornain wrote:

>             However, do not forget the people relationships can be
> different following the country where you are even if they speaks the
> same language.

Indeed, this can be very true and it is one of the problems we aim to
remedy.  This is one of the main goals of the new initiative, to get
ambassadors to reach out to resources beyond the general FOSS community
and create bonds which they can use and leads which they can further
pursue.  We will still of course provide support, and it is obvious that
some ambassadors will have a hard time doing this.  This is where we can
help and teach each other effective strategies for creating such
relationships.

> Part2, Part 3 and Part 5: So I will have to pay for creating local CD
> in order to redistribute it with donation, will I?
>
> Ok, this will work for an Open source event cause every visitor is
> aware about the Open Source way of thinking.  And they quite agree to
> help volunteer in giving donations.
>
> However, basically they already know what is fedora. And if they want
> to try it they already know where to download it ?
>
> I do not say that is useless but the principal think is to make
> discover what linux is to standard user, students, IT professionals
> and so on, agree?
>
> People who do not use or do not know what is linux.  - I do not mean
> to convince them or evangelize them, I just mean to tell them that it
> exist something else than proprietary systems.
>
> Just say they have got choice. –

Point well taken.  Yes, ambassadors will initially pay for media
creation.  The reason for this is two-fold. One, this forces ambassadors
to forge useful relationships with local providers. Two, it helps cut
down on shipping costs and hassles, which have wasted a significant
amount of resources and effort which could have been better used
elsewhere.

We are not saying that you must sell every CD/DVD that you produce, its
just not feasible.  There will be instances in which an ambassador will
need to give discs.  In fact, the model we are proposing is one in which
free media becomes subsidized as a result.  Think of it as a circle in
which you produce discs and a portion of those are for free media, you
then sell the discs for a donation to sponsor free media which in turn
recovers your costs and gives you the ability to press more discs.  So
yes, by all means continue to give some away and see if you can get
donations for the rest.  We won't leave anyone hanging.

> But why Red hat will not create them proportionally in each
> continent?
Red Hat has contracts with media producers which it has to abide by.
Fedora, and its ambassadors, on the other hand, have no such limits
placed on them.  Also, shipping and customs will still pose problems on
each continent, as almost all continents have more than one country on
them.  Likewise, the point about forging relationships then becomes
moot.

> Concerning the Fedora Merchandises, I have got the same point of view
> excepted that they are more relevant in Open Source event than for
> standard users, student and so on.
>
> So I think that we could better ask donations for Fedora stuffs than
> for CD to people who already know what is linux.

We are working on this as well.  In due time we hope to solve more of
these issues, there is only so much we can do at the same time.  I
should note, that the model should be roughly the same as for the media.

> Depend of what you will decide.
>
> But if you do it as you said, how will you manage all extra stuff from
> different events with different design, color, size and so on coming
> from different countries? What do you do of our delivery cost
> problems? And finally, will the Fedora stuff customer be satisfy about
> what he ordered?

We are still working out how to manage everything.  I will put out
another proposal with regards to this aspect of the puzzle when we feel
we had thoroughly though it through.

> Anyway, I am not trying to kill all you propositions and I do not want
> to. Every ideas are welcome.
>
> I understand that you are looking for kill-costing solution and I
> think you are doing great job event if I have got a different point of
> view. ;)
Certainly.  I appreciate the great quality feedback you provided.  These
policies and processes will only work if they are open and acceptable to
all and I am sure that many have the same concerns which you brought up
and I am glad to address them.

Jack