[Ambassadors] Re: [Fedora-ambassadors-list] Fedora Event Kit

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Mon Jul 17 19:33:06 UTC 2006

I think Jack did a great job answering these questions.  I'll just add one
thing:

> We are not saying that you must sell every CD/DVD that you produce, its
> just not feasible.  There will be instances in which an ambassador will
> need to give discs.  In fact, the model we are proposing is one in which
> free media becomes subsidized as a result.  Think of it as a circle in
> which you produce discs and a portion of those are for free media, you
> then sell the discs for a donation to sponsor free media which in turn
> recovers your costs and gives you the ability to press more discs.  So
> yes, by all means continue to give some away and see if you can get
> donations for the rest.  We won't leave anyone hanging.

We are *not* saying that Red Hat/Fedora is going to stop providing
financial support for shows and events.  We are most definitely going to
continue to provide that support.

But it's cheaper for us to pay someone back who produced DVDs (or shirts,
or hats, etc.) at a cheap price, and in a large quantity, near the
location where the items will be distributed, than it is for us to produce
them ourselves, and mail them all over the world.

Our money will go much further with a distributed model.

In addition, we choose to offer Ambassadors the option to ask for
donations to help them recover costs.  No one is forced to do this -- by
all means give everything away for free if you want to -- but the *option*
is there if you want it.

--Max

--
Max Spevack