[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Ambassadors meeting notes March 2, 2006, 14:00-15:00 UTC

Alex Maier lxmaier at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 17:06:07 UTC 2006

McGiwer: PawelSadowski

Regrets:
SankarshanMukhopadhyay

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Schedule

item 1
events
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents

1.1
Mar 13-16, 2006 Jornada de Divulgación Científica y Tecnológica
owner: JoseTarazona
owner is not present

1.2
Mar 18-19, 2006 Fedora Core Open Days
Owners: MateuszHalaba PawelSadowski
PawelSadowski has submitted an update
Fedora Core Open Days are on 18-19 March. Pawel and Filip Klebczyk
(one of the main co-organizers) are already planning to organize next
event like that in the future.
Pawel was recently at Network Security GigaCon in Poland (didn't have
a speech, it was rather event in which companies were advertising
themselves, but maybe next time at Linux GigaCon he'll try to make
something ;)) and he would like to ask  -- if I'll be on next event
like that, can I write the Fedora Foundation as my company?(they
require to write the name of company that you are from).
lxmaier: yes, you can say you are a member of Fedora Ambassadors Project

1.3
Mar 18-19, 2006 glugc FLOSS Meet 2006
owner: KushalDas
kushal: talked with sankarshan, he will give kushal some handouts & tshirts
kushal: Still need FC5 cds (at least a live one). That I need most.

1.4
Apr 3-6, 2006 LinuxWorld Boston 2006
owners: MatthewMiller, JackAboutboul
greendisease: okay, so we have secured the .org booth. actually we
have secured it for both boston and san francisco. they like us so
much, they offered me advanced booking and i took it. we will have a
number of people there already, seeing as that the westford office is
right down the road and we will have machines from pogo linux. and
spot's mac mini. otherwise, gregdek, should we make a new banner with
the new logo?
as far as our install pavilion, i have a meeting with the expo people
at 1 to design a setup that comes in under budget. i was thinking 2
large tables, 10 chairs, some carpet and electricity, etc.
i am personally not planning on presenting. although i do have a
projector we could use against the backdrop. and we will have one
large 24' lcd in the booth.
Our BOF (Birds of a Feather) is on the schedule, they havent given me
the date yet.
someone (warren) usually does a fedora presentation at the rh booth
and points people to us; we did a few presentations on Fedora booth
last time in SF, and it didnt work so well. in the install booth
though, we should be able to.
the problem is, no mics allowed in the .org section.  but the install
pavilion is anything goes. The space in the .org area is limited and
having 40 people listening to your presentation starts to block
traffic. idg complained. i think it is wiser to do presentations oin
the install pavilion.

1.5
Apr 7, 2006 FUDCon Boston 2006
owners: MatthewMiller JackAboutboul
greendisease: yeah, so all is well. logistics are complete. we have
rooms and schedules. the cfp went well. we got about 15-20 topics. and
we will try and choose the best 15 or so. 2.5 tracks, since one is the
morning and two in the afternoon. we will be having some great talks.
registration opens on Monday Mar 6.
the presentations we have so far come from xiph foundation, levanta,
pogo linux, mysql, the catalonian government, mit opencourseware. the
schedule we have will go up and the announcement will go out on
monday. and we are pretty much all set. the last few things to figure
out are the AV equipment and do a test stream. and we should be
golden.

1.6
Apr 11, 2006 Local LUG - Campux France, Lille.
owner: ThomasCanniot
MrTom: i have to work on the translation, but it's no big deal. i'm
used to talk to these people in France :) it will be a "small" event
then. and all the french community will have news about it on French
websites.

1.7
Apr 19-22, 2006 FISL 7.0
owner: RodrigoPadula
not present

1.8
May 3-6, 2006 LinuxTag/FUDCon Wiesbaden 2006
owners: GeroldKassube FlorianBrand
GeroldKa: sorry for this: we have no more informations about the
organisation team and his decission. Florian stays in contact with the
founder to get the decission as soon as they made them. In the
meantime we are planning in the background :-) Another question in
that case: Which Ambassador will attend the Linuxtag in Wiesbaden? I
know from ChitleshGoorah, FlorianBrand, JensKuehnel, ThorstenLemhuis
and me. Anyone other????
lxmaier: depending on many factors I might be able to come to linuxtag

1.9
May 15-16, 2006 LinuxWorld Italy 2006
owner AndreaMaurizioGnerre
FrancescoUgolini: yep, i've to said one thing about this event. i have
an update for the italian may event, i will not avaible. I wish that
the things can change and i will be free for this event, but for the
moment i'm blocked. i've send Andrea an email, now i'm waitng for a
reply.

item 2
FedoraLibraries
Owner: ChitleshGoorah
do we lack for this project
Owner not present

item 3
Promotional material for Kadischi
Time critical. Within 10 days maximum. Will have to be ready for FC5
Compilation of material like presentations, help and videos would be
good.
lxmaier: i was not the one who added this to the list, and i am not
sure i want to take responsibility for this project. do we ahve anyone
who would like to coordinate this effort?
ke4qqq: I'll help... I'll start with pres, and help...... videos after that.
FrancescoUgolini: i've an ideas of a possible promotional video (30s)
that talk about how the world is Open from the begging to the simple
things and this is the reason to choose fedora. it's based on black
background and white text,
lxmaier: FrancescoUgolini, ke4qqq, would you mind building a team
together and covering this whole area, Kadischi, FC5 virtual tour and
all?
(09:50:32) ke4qqq: that would be great from my perspective....
puneet_batura: i will be also developing a video for fedora5....

item 4
Fedora tour at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tours/FedoraCore5
Owners: RahulSundaram and anyone interested
lxmaier: looks like FrancescoUgolini and ke4qqq will be joining in
mether must have stepped out, no status report

item 5
Schwag pipeline
Owner: GregDeKoenigsberg
Targer Date: End of March 2006
This is separate from the actual stuff we send; this is just making
sure that the stuff we send actually gets to the places it needs to
go.
gregdek: 1. DVDs. Looks like we're going to be burning 2-sided, with
source on one side and binaries on the other. This is (a) because
people can't play with source if they don't have it, and (b) helps get
the FSF off our back a bit, which is good. The cost will go up, which
means that there will be fewer to go around -- but it's The Right
Thing, so we'll deal with it.
2. Cost of kits is established, I'm meeting with our logistics guy
today to get the final timeline on store availability in the US.
Regions outside Americas will lag by 2 weeks to a month. For
emergencies, though, we'll just ship from the US store for events.
We'll take the cost hit.
Here's a fact of life: we will *never* have mass DVDs within 2 weeks
of the FC release. *Ever*. So at release time, we *must* figure out
how to burn and distribute locally.
So that's my update. More and better news next week, I'm sure.

item 6
Presentations for Ambassadors
Owner: AlexMaier
various presentations. We should probably aggregate the ones we
already have and make them available. We should also figure out our
policy for licensing these presentations!
lxmaier: i will remove my name from there.  i do not really lead this
effort, but someone can volunteer to do that.
gregdek: Proposed policy is OPL, right? I mean, we're basically doing
this, aren't we?
 tchung: lxmaier, I think mether would be good
lxmaier: yes, we are all for OPL :)

--
Check out the new content on Fedora Project page! http://fedoraproject.org