[Fedora-ambassadors-list] FC5 Promotion. Time is now!

David Barzilay barzilay at redhat.com
Wed Mar 8 05:34:40 UTC 2006

Hi Rahul and All,

Em Qua, 2006-03-08 às 10:34 +0530, Rahul Sundaram escreveu:
> David Barzilay wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >I was expecting some more progress on the Press Release to announce our
> >FC5 Lanuch Media Plan, but time is running out.
> >
> >Please check: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC5LaunchMediaPlan
> >
> >. chillout.tar.gz is a 100% opensource-localizeable-web-promo. Feel free
> >to use it and also to localize it in your own language (GUIDELINES: open
> >file with inscape; click on the text tool; translate text; then click
> >file -> export bitmap, making sure "page" is selected in dialog window,
> >choose resolution, click browse and choose destination, then click
> >export)
> >
> >. impress.tar.gz brings a couple of slide templates. 1st and content
> >pages. Again, feel free to localize it
> >
> >This page outlines all communications activities involving the launch of
> >FC5. A big worldwide splash I envisioned some time ago, and was willing
> >to coordinate with Ambassadors worldwide on a timely manner (I know it's
> >not perfect but can be improved).
> >
> >Truth is we are VERY LATE with all these. Someone needs to pick the
> >highest points from the user perspective of FC5 and write a proper press
> >release (max 3 pages) in the next two days so we'll have time to
> >translate it in various languages and send it to the media. Or maybe two
> >press releases: one for the masses and another one for techies.
> >

> Ahem this draft press release was written a few days back and announced
> here for feedback. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC5PressRelease. Only
> concern for me and some is that it looks more like a release
> announcement rather than a press release now. Turn this into a release
> announcement. Rewrite the press release or polish it?. Less technical
> details and more eye catching summaries?. I am open for suggestions. Its
> a wiki anyway so edit it yourself if you want to.

Yeah, I'm subscribed to that page. It looks to me more like release
notes than a press release, so my suggestion is doing exactly what you
said, "Rewrite the press release" with "Less technical details and more
eye catching summaries".

I'd love to edit the wiki myself, but I'm still struggling with the CLA
process, what stops me from editing wiki pages including my own (I know
it sounds stupid and may even be, but here's what I meant by different
people having different sorts of knowledge).

> >Remember! Not everyone has the same knowledge you have. Whats seems easy
> >for you, can be quite hard and worky for others.
> >
> Share the precious knowledge and make it easy for everyone then.

No dramas in sharing the knowledge, but a press release is not the best
way to do this. My thoughts points us to this plan:

. Sending press release worldwide in as many languages we can,
approaching FC in general, then focus on FC5 improvements (remember this
might be the 1st time some people come across this sort of info as we
are broadening our actions scope now)

. Press release points to a URL (fedoraproject.org or the local website)
where people can have more details and learn more about FC and FC5

. The referred websites bring a web promo,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC5LaunchMediaPlan, linked to a fully-
dedicated page for FC5 launch, that brings all major achievements and
thorough explanations. Also including links to other sub-projects, how
to contribute, etc

How does these sound?

If someone can tell me what are the **5 main "kick-ass-features" of FC5
from a user perspective** and also provide me with their explanations,
I'll write the press release.

Thanks for listening!

Best,
--