[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Linuxtag

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 9 13:50:17 UTC 2006

Gerold Kassube wrote:

>So sorry for "confusing" you all ...
>
>It's in that case important that Linuxtag is the greatest Open Source
>event in EMEA (they write every year on their homepage and also in the
>press) and ...
>
>... due of the matter, that Red Hat EMEA decides NOT to attend the
>Linuxtag also the Fedora Projects has at the moment no approved booth
>neither we're invited to attend the Linuxtag.
>They only tell me "Ohhhh, you have to wait ..."
>On the other hand, they push with such news the Ubuntu project which has
>obviously payed a "big amount" for beeing at the Linuxtag and step up the
>next "Ubuntu Love Day" @ that event ...
>Imho there is no equal opportunity at all in the eyes of the .ORG of
>Linuxtag and so we maybe felt out of the "open projects" and we should
>decide what to do, maybe not really worldwide but EMEA-wide. OpenSUSE has
>the same problem as well. Because of their is a prof. company in the
>background of the Community of the Distributor, Linuxtag stands on the
>point that the Project is not free and the prof. company should pay for
>booth and attending the event (That's just my personal interpretation of
>the happening in the last days) ...

Interesting. If a commercial organization is sponsoring or participating
in a distribution, its not free anymore?. By that measure doesnt the
participation of Canonical exclude Ubuntu from that list?. Maybe there
is a better explanation to this than a conspiracy theory. Thanks for
providing the context though.

--
Rahul