[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Ambassadors meeting notes March 9, 2006, 22-23:30 UTC

Alex Maier lxmaier at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 16:07:08 UTC 2006

17:00:15 -- Meeting start

Present:

lxmaier: AlexMaier
GeroldKa: GeroldKassube
tchung: ThomasChung
ke4qqq: DavidNalley
MrTom: ThomasCanniot
[splinux]: DamienDurand
FrancescoUgolini: FrancescoUgolini
gregdek_home: GregDeKoenigsberg
BobJensen: BobJensen
puneet_batura: PuneetBatura
fusion94: TonyGuntharp

Regrets:

greendesease: JackAboutboul

Schedule posted on: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Schedule
item 1: Review upcoming events (90 days)

1.1
	Mar 12, 2006   Local organisation,  AREL    France, Revin:
Explanation of "what is a free software?" + Demo of FC5 with Kadischi
+ Flyers. This event is announced  here on the agenda du libre website
	Owner: ThomasCanniot
	MrTom: well i just learned about this event this week... but
everything seems to be ok for the moment. i won't be able to take my
computer and i will only be able to show fedora through livecd. i will
use the flyer in french, for the media it's far too late. it will be a
booth for a complete organisation, not only for fedora. the
organisation will promote free software and i will promote fc among
them
	MrTom: the local lug does not exist yet on this area in France, but
people are working on it
	MrTom: AREL is an organisation that works for education and
entertainment. they are organising the event on sunday, which will
bring many organisation of the area
	MrTom: i'll take photos as in FOSDEM, as much as i can

1.2
	Mar 13-16, 2006   Jornada de Divulgacion Bogota, Colombia - A whole
day organized for an Recognized University in Colombia for conferences
on subjects related to Open Source Software as well as
telecommunications, medical artificial intelligence and computer
science. It will have universities of the country and the world.
http://www.sistemasunbosque.edu.co  and http://www.equisl.org
	Owner: JoseTarazona
	Owner not present

1.3
	Mar 18-19, 2006   Fedora Core Open Days: The first event of this kind
in Poland. It will be a conference connected with users and
sympathizers meeting, setting Fedora promotion as a main goal. Rybnik,
Poland.
	Owner: MateuszHalaba, PawelSadowski
	If anyone is interested in participating, please contact one of the
ambassadors involved.
	Official site:  http://fcod.b7.pl
	pawel and mattheusz both not present

1.4
	Mar 18-19, 2006   glugc FLOSS Meet 2006 GNU/Linux Users Group Calicut
(glugc) (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/glugc ) has been working inside
the campus to promote FOSS. glugc successfully conducted FLOSS Meet
2005, a seminar on Free/Libre and Open Source Software. NIT Calicut is
participating in FOSS Month 2006 (glugc FLOSS Meet 2006 will be a part
of the FOSS Month celebrations).
	Owner: KushalDas
	Kushal will conduct the BoF
	kushal is not present

1.5
	Mar 25, 2006   FLISOL 2006 (Brazil - DF)   FLISOL stands as
Latin-America's Free Software Installation Festival
(http://test.installfest.info/FliSol), and aims to install as many
systems with Linux and free software. Also, there is minu-courses and
speakings. It happens in many cities and countries and happens in the
same day.
	Owner: HugoCisneiros
	HugoCisneiros will present a talk about the Fedora Project and will
distribute Fedora LiveCDs in Brasilia, DF (local page)
	Owner not present

1.6
	Apr 3-6, 2006   LinuxWorld Boston 2006   Boston, MA, USA -
LinuxWorld US: See LinuxWorld/LinuxWorldBoston2006.
	Owners: MatthewMiller, JackAboutboul
	Owners will contact JesseKeating or local PC vendor about hardware
needed for the booth.
	Matthew will conatct JackAboutboul about registering for free booth.

	Apr 7, 2006   FUDCon Boston 2006   Boston, MA, USA - Sequel to the
first FUDCon: See FUDCon/FUDConBoston2006
	Owners: MatthewMiller, JackAboutboul
	We're still looking for speakers and  papers. Help wanted. Greg and
Alex will support wherever they can.
	In absense of owners, gregdek_home will give an update
	gregdek_home: We've got a full slate of speakers. Just need to update
the page accordingly and start advertising. If Jack doesn't pick this
up in the next day or two, I've got it. LWCE is all set too.
	tchung: I've been working with Jack on Wiki page so I'll contact him
again for the Schedule

1.7
	Apr 11, 2006   Local LUG - Campux   France, Lille.
	Owner: ThomasCanniot
	Have to translate presentation, and don't think i need any schwag.
20-25 people will be attending.
	MrTom: ok, aurelien bompard send me his french presentation. i will
certainly switch to the new template we had on the list. i don't think
new fc5 media will be ready for this date, if they can, i may ask for
some. however, it will be the same receipe, flyers, livecd ... :) if
media are not available i'll burn some dvd myself

1.8
	Apr 19-22, 2006   FISL 7.0   Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil -  7th
International Free Software Forum: This is the biggest conference for
IT Infrastructure and Developers in Brazil. See  FISL for more
description.
	Owner: RodrigoPadula
	See  FISL for status.
	rodrigo isn't present and nobody from his region is

1.9
	May 3-6, 2006   LinuxTag/FUDCon Wiesbaden 2006 Wiesbaden, Germany -
LinuxTag Germany:  See FUDCon/FUDConWiesbaden2006
	Owners: GeroldKassube, FlorianBrand
	Help wanted and needed
	GeroldKa: we don't have the booth really approved by Linuxtag, and
I'm not really sure; we should attend
	lxmaier: tchung: linuxtag is putting us under pressure to make sure
red hat pays up. we are working to some funding from rhat. and also i
have a contact to a large corporation, hope they will throw us a chunk
of money too
	lxmaier:  There is some good new though: I have a tentative okay for
holding the FUDCon at the Heinrich Heine University of
Duesseldorf--which leaves us with more options, shall LinuxTag decide
to be uncooperative.
	GeroldKa: for me it's very difficult to have the contact to Linuxtag,
because they don't know me and they want to see money from Red Hat.
and I belive if they don't see money from Red Hat they'll say "you're
not a free project."
	gregdek_home: We need to make a call. And it sounds like LinuxTag is
going to be an Ubuntu love fest anyway. Would we rather try to put on
a Fedora-only event?
	ke4qqq: typically in the US when con organizers behave badly like
that forking the event normally takes care of things.
	gregdek_home: We should not have our event on the same date though.
We don't want to make the community choose--but we do want our own
event, our own way, and I don't think we should submit to being
blackmailed.
	GeroldKa: debian is also not at Linuxtag, and opensuse will also not
be registered till today. They have invited 50 open source projects,
but not OpenSuse, Novell, Debian, Fedora, Red Hat

1.10
	May 15-16, 2006   LinuxWorld Italy 2006   Milan, Italy -  LinuxWorld Italy
	Owners: FrancescoUgolini, AndreaMaurizioGnerre
	Andrea has contacted the organization of the event. They moved to a
sponsorized event format. I have prices for that if anybody is
interested.
	FrancescoUgolini: i've talk with maurizio, i don't know some of
specifics, i've only started to talk about the
problem, but we are discussing about this event. i will tell about
this event in the m-list in a few days

lxmaier: we are finished with the events for the next 90 days

item 2
	Promotional material for Kadischi
	Owner: DavidNalley
	Time-critical. Within 10 days maximum. Will have to be ready for FC5
  Compilation of material like presentations, help and videos would be
good
	ke4qqq: 2 videos are
done....http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kadischi/Videos and the balance
should be up tonight. additional promotional materials for inclusion
on the livecd will hopefully be up for review tonight/tomorrow morning

item 3
	A tour at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tours/FedoraCore5
	Owners: RahulSundaram, FrancescoUgolini, and anyone interested
	Time critical. Within 10 days maximum. Will have to be ready for FC5.
	FrancescoUgolini: i have post the banner in the m-list, i'm working
on it. If is possible i would to know if it's the good way. I will
publish my graphics on the wiki after i finsh to install the system
update

item 4
	Video contest
	Owner: AlexMaier
	Shortly after FC5 release: Announce and conduct a short video contest.
	What we need to figure out:
	- Format (currently OGG, all agree?)
	- Max file size (currently 10M, all agree?)
	- Submission guidelines (AlexMaier needs to draft)
	- Prize (no idea, but needs to be spiffy and not too expensive)
	lxmaier: i have a half-finished draft i need to finish and submit to the list.
	A discussion about movie requirements was held--to be continued on the list

item 5
	Schwag pipeline and a Standard Ambassadors Survival Kit
	Owner: GregDeKoenigsberg
	End of March 2006: Need to make sure that the schwag pipeline is
functional. This is separate from the actual stuff we send; this is
just making sure that the stuff we send actually gets to the places it
needs to go. We need a standard "kit" for all Ambassadors; DVDs,
promotional materials, and schwag
	gregdek_home stepped out

item 6
	Standard design elements for all Fedora pages
	Owner: AlexMaier
	April 1, 2006: Need to create a set of design elements such as
backgrounds, icons, CSS style sheets, etc for use across all
Fedora-affilliated pages to improve the brand identity
	lxmaier: i have it all almost done. we will soon have photoshop files
for a set of unified icons and buttons and backgrounds and such for
use on all fedora pages. we will edit them and store on our site for
download as pngs or so. we also plan to create a suggested css style
sheet.
	BobJensen: what does this have to do with Ambassadors?
	lxmaier: it has to do with ambassadors who run fedora pages on their
own, soon they will be able to make their pages look like fedora
	BobJensen: shouldn't such a project be addressed by the marketing
list for input?
	lxmaier: okay, we'll move this to the list

lxmaier: we have covered all topics for which the owners were present.
the meeting is officially adjourned at 18:05:48