[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Ambassador's Purpose

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 10 20:49:06 UTC 2006

Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:

>After 4 months in the ambassador project I have several questions and
>also some opinions. I will answer my own questions so you know where I
>am coming from.
>
>Why are we ambassadors?
>
>I am an ambassador so I can better present Fedora to groups of people
>through Slides and structured content.

That works fine.

>Do small events count?
>
>I do not think our current format lends itself to discussing general
>ideas of bringing Fedora to the masses. I get the feeling that our
>leadership is of the opinion that large high profile events are the ones
>that count. Everything else is just filler.

Why do you feel so? We have been entertaining all sort of requests
within the limitations of our funds.

>Should ambassadors be members of the marketing list?
>
>I think they should. Many ideas that have been posted to the PRIVATE
>Ambassadors list should have been posted to the PUBLIC Marketing list
>for greater input.

Yes, definitely but remember that there are many projects such as GNOME,
openoffice.org that have their own private marketing lists. It is
required for various things were incrementally working on something with
public feedback isnt that effective. A press release for example.

>What should the ambassadors project and list focus on?
>
>They should focus on supporting Ambassadors and events no matter how
>small.

We try to as a goal. We have to understand though that we wont be ever
meeting it completely.

>Where did the Ambassadors project come from?
>
>For more information on this you will have to look at the Oct 2005
>archives of the marketing list.

To have a regional focus and participate in events. To shrink and focus
on specific aspects of marketing rather than losing track and discussing
random things.

>What happened to the Marketing project?
>
>It would seem that leadership lost focus, the Ambassadors project was
>created from this lack of focus as a subproject and the general
>marketing project was allowed to die.

Allowed to die is misleading. There is nothing stopping people from
doing things that needs to be done out there. I still send feedback on
reviews on the marketing list regularly.

>Why is the Ambassadors list private?
>
>The Ambassadors list was made private as I remember to prevent people
>from signing up just to get free stuff and promo items.

To stage initial promotional activities and make a better splash when we
accomplish things.

>What can we do to make things better?
>
>I think we need to re-ignite the Marketing project as the driving force
>of Fedora Marketing. Bring Marketing Tasks back in to the Public view,
>part of this will be to Focus the Ambassadors project on supporting
>Ambassadors in getting to events and related items including giveaway
>"stuff" and keep Marketing in the marketing list.
>
>I am sure more will come from me later, this will be plenty to talk
>about for now. If anyone has the guts to that is.

If we want to go ahead and continue marketing discussions on that list,
I dont see any roadblocks on that.

--
Rahul