[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Ambassador's Purpose

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sat Mar 11 16:07:33 UTC 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 21:44, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:
> I am tempted to answer to this as depends :) There is a reason to this.
> A first hand experience with FUDConDelhi2006 proves that it is necessary
> to make a splash. However, the fun bit was that the splash has started
> off a chain of smaller events where at least someone is talking about
> Fedora or holding a BoF. Bigger events sometimes have a distinctly
> different agenda from the core Fedora desirables but they do get the
> project more eyeballs. Smaller ones (half day/3 hours) allow us to
> spread love evenly and sure they do count.

This is why we must take advantage of the larger events.  They can be a
valuable way to create a drive behind our smaller events.  Our smaller events
are where we can really win new users and contributors.

> > Should ambassadors be members of the marketing list?
> >
> > I think they should. Many ideas that have been posted to the PRIVATE
> > Ambassadors list should have been posted to the PUBLIC Marketing list
> > for greater input.
>
> Taking a leaf from OpenOffice.org - the MarCons (Marketing Contacts)
> *are* regional Ambassadors (though never explicitly stated) and
> participate in somewhat extent in strategy sessions and directions.
> Ambassadors should be part of Marketing List but not vice-versa. The
> Ambassador role is a smaller focussed subset of the Marketing Role.

Exactly!  The "MarCons" were something we looked at closely while developing
the Ambassadors program.  The Ambassadors should participate in our marketing
development, but that is not their purpose, and should not be a primary
focus.  That part should be taken care of by our Marketing project.  The
goals of each are close, but different.  The Marketing project should be
revived to fulfill its purposes, allowing Ambassadors to focus on the stated
goals of this project.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com