[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Ambassador's Purpose

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Mar 12 08:51:49 UTC 2006

Patrick Barnes wrote:

>On Friday 10 March 2006 14:49, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>>>Do small events count?
>>>
>>>I do not think our current format lends itself to discussing general
>>>ideas of bringing Fedora to the masses. I get the feeling that our
>>>leadership is of the opinion that large high profile events are the ones
>>>that count. Everything else is just filler.
>>>

>>Why do you feel so? We have been entertaining all sort of requests
>>within the limitations of our funds.
>>

>A very poor job has been done of giving attention to these events.  It isn't
>just about sending merchandise.  That's really a tertiary goal at best.
>First and foremost, we must make sure that people have the information and
>promotional materials to effectively spread Fedora at these smaller events.
>We must listen to feedback and suggestions that come out of these events.  We
>must stand behind those who go to these events, and let them know that they
>are every bit as important as those who go to the larger events.  We can't
>achieve our goals without these small events.

Lets me put it this way. There is a lot of focus on the smaller events
too happening off list on many occasions because people have been
contacting me in private.  If there was concerns about this, it should
have raised long back.

>This list isn't supposed to serve such purposes.  The Ambassadors are meant
>only to take our global voice to a local level.  Press releases, for example,
>are NOT the business of the Ambassadors.

Why not? Aren't anyone here interested in giving us feedback on these?

>You got the first sentence right.  We aren't about focusing on aspects of
>Marketing.  We're about providing local attention, by both providing
>information and gathering feedback.  Ambassadors are meant to take our
>marketing to the public at a personal level, not develop our marketing.
>

>>>What happened to the Marketing project?
>>>
>>>It would seem that leadership lost focus, the Ambassadors project was
>>>created from this lack of focus as a subproject and the general
>>>marketing project was allowed to die.
>>>

>>Allowed to die is misleading. There is nothing stopping people from
>>doing things that needs to be done out there. I still send feedback on
>>reviews on the marketing list regularly.
>>

>"Allowed to die" is a perfect description of what happened.  After the
>Ambassadors program was formed, traffic on the Marketing list dropped off
>dramatically, all focus was placed on Ambassadors, the original focus of
>Marketing was lost, marketing initiatives started appearing among the
>Ambassadors instead of in the Marketing project where they should have been,
>and everything within the Marketing program began to rot.

I have been posting the same things I post to the marketing list
regularly in the same fashion that I used to do before the ambassadors
list. So I dont agree with that analysis. How many people here posted to
the marketing list on any attempts to revive the focus if you felt it
was lacking?

--
Rahul