[Fedora-ambassadors-list] About the openness of this list...

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Mon Mar 13 12:39:31 UTC 2006

Clair wrote:
> The CLA process *is* imposed by the group.

There are legal reasons surrounding why this is in place, though.

>>During the time you were member of the group Clair, I did not see you
>>even try to participate in any discussions on the list or on IRC, and
>>I have not  seen you contribute to UK events, or request our support
>>for any of your activities there. And so I don't see how we failed
>>you.
>

> Well, the reason you haven't seen me post on irc is because you are rarely on
> irc. (You haven't even subscribed to services).
>
> Why did I not contribute to UK events? Because I wasn't given the support. I
> enquired about talking to my LUG, but was told there was nothing you can do
> to help me.

This is something that needs to be addressed. The Ambassador project is
currently still very young, and as such, there's going to be teething
problems.

> I cannot make it to big events. Why should I have to?

You shouldn't have to. If you can't make it, you can't make it. Simple
as that. I don't think we should be forcing ambassadors down a specific
path. Some people just simply don't like attending Open Source events,
but they can still contribute to the project in other ways.

>>The Ambassadors project is based on self-driven individuals going out
>>and talking about Fedora to other people. Famsco can *support* them
>>and provide them with feedback, but can hardly take each of the
>>volunteers by the hand and lead them along. With the amount of
>>resources we got (almost non-existent) this model will not scale,
>>however much I regret it.
>

> You don't need resources. Not everything is about giving away free DVDs or
> free t-shirts. This is where you lost your sight on the project. It's not
> about big events and free stuff. It's about telling people who ask about
> Fedora, about answering their questions, it's about saying why they should
> (if at all) switch to Fedora from another distro.

+1 to that.

> If we work on people on at a time, it will be more effective than going to
> huge events.

Yes and no - we still need events. We also need to be speaking to the
'real' people. One thing I don't like about most big Linux events is the
'commercialness' of it - you're speaking to the IT managers, directors,
etc. This has its advantages, and its drawbacks.

The best way to get to the real techies is to attend LUG meetings, or
specifically 'geeky' open source events.

Regards,

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
  Technical Account Manager            office: +44 1483 300169