[Fedora-ambassadors-list] An idea re ambassadors

Clair fedora at freehold.no-ip.info
Fri Mar 17 21:01:27 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 20:00, David Nalley wrote:
> Let me preface my remarks by saying that I am a newb to this list and a
> newb Ambassador, and my comments represent no one but myself and are
> worth exactly what you paid for them.

Welcome :)

> So what you are advocating is Fedora Zealots, or perhaps Fedora
> Evangelists? Regardless I personally think it's a bit short sighted.
> I think your "problem" with the Ambassadors is a non-issue. I think it's
> more of an issue of perception than a real problem. Because we dedicate
> so much time to discussing a conference with thousands of people it
> APPEARS that is our main focus. It is far more complicated to setup
> FUDCONs and LinuxWorld in that it requires more people, time, resources
> and discussion than an individual Ambassador giving a presentation to a
> local LUG, or providing flyers or media to a library or school.

Sure.. but the latter never gets discussed, and these people still should get
support. atm these people can't get free swag.

> completely concur with your one-to-one contact ideas. I think they are
> probably more effective than events when considered on an individual
> basis. But at the same time, I don't need to talk about, or coordinate
> my one-on-one efforts for 30 minutes on IRC during meetings, or flood
> the list asking for help.

Mailing the list cannot, and should not, be seen as 'flooding'. There should
be support given to anyone whatever they want to do.

> I also think that creating a second list makes things more complicated,
> it's already complicated enough dealing with the plethora of lists that
> most of us are subscribed to, who needs another one? In addition it's
> bound to divide, and one list or the other will lose some valuable
> contribution, and the two are really quite related, separated only by
> the quantity of audience and resources thrown at it. Furthermore, what's
> really going to be discussed by such a list? How to talk to people about
> Fedora??? How to bring the Ubuntu(or any other distro) heathens into the
> knowledge of the salvation of Fedora? I don't mean to sound incredulous,
> but really, how much list traffic and irc traffic can you generate?
> Besides, people who are excited about Fedora are going to tell people,
> and talk to people, and convert people, and they don't necessarily need
> swag to do it.

There are no plans to make a list/channel, or to not make a list/channel.

Clair