[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Re: Fwd: Inquiry - General marketing questions from a student of international business

Tejas Dinkar tejasdinkar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 18:57:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 09:38 +0100, Patrick Windt wrote:
> Dear Mr/Mrs Dinkar

Mr... or just Tejas is Fine

> First of all thank you for your swift and extraodinary detailed reply.
> I did know how the concept of free/open software and I know that
> Fedora is not a commercial product. But this does not mean, I hope,
> that the marketing department/list says; well it doesn't matter what
> we do, people will like it or know it or not.
>
> I'm simply interested in the doings, and not doings of marketing.
>
> I would assume that the marketing department/list does have some
> marketing specific goals? I would hardly think that this task is
> thought of lightly.

See, here is where you missed it... The marketing department IS a group
of volunteers, and obviously, each person will have a different reason
for being part of the project.

On the whole, the marketing teams goal is clear: We need to give fedora
to as many people as possible. The key word here is *give*. We do not
ask any money for it, so in this respect, we aren't truly marketing.

I think the way Fedora's Marketing is this...

We try to make sure that Fedora is in the hands of as many people as
possible. After that, we are sure that the product will take care of
itself, so to speak.

However, there is another major difference. We also try to get other
people to actively contribute...

If you see the last slide of most of the talks on Fedora, it will be on
`How can I contribute back to the project`. As a coder, or as an
ambassador, or to write documentation, each is an important part.

So in the true sense, we aren't marketers, we are enthusiasts. However,
as you say, yes, we must have a goal... And our goal is to promote free
software, until the common man becomes more aware of it.

To Promote Free software in General, and Fedora in particular

We aim to remove the Fear, Uncertainty and Doubts that certain
proprietary vendors have created against the Free and Open Source World.

The above two are the goals of the Marketing initiative IMO.

The method we go about doing this is many
1) Speak at events world wide
2) Send DVDs to people who ask
3) Have install fests
4) Spread fedora on a more personal basis, to your friends

I think that above covers it. Please CC the list when replying, I know
I'm not the only guy with an opinion

> However I do think it's odd to make the end-users the developers. I
> believe that fedora core has the big potential of beating windows in
> the Operating Systems market, or is that an aspect that isn't
> considered either?

Well, sort of.

We would really love to see more free software in the market. However,
(at least I) am not particularly fanatic about Fedora, I would really
like to see free software (be it Fedora, SuSE, FreeBSD, RHEL) dominating
the market.

Remember, that no matter which free software wins, all the others still
win.

Gja