[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Requesting DVDs

Clair fedora at freehold.no-ip.info
Tue Mar 28 16:15:40 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 17:04, Tejas Dinkar wrote:
> > > Or, indeed, download it ;)
>
> Terribly insensitive remark.
>
> When 56kbps dialup is a luxury, how can you expect people to download 5
> GB of ISOs? I think it is fair for him to ask for one DVD/CD set for
> personal use.

I wouldn't call 56k "luxury" anymore - nowadays much of the world is
broadband. I'm on 2mb and that's considered *slow* to the Americans and
mainland Europeans.

> I one ran a yum install on a box with 36.6 dialup (around FC2 times). It
> took 4 hours just to get the yum headers. Connections are not available
> everywhere, and often, these are the places which need FC5 the most

That's where the vendors come in: I spend many hours slaving over that list.
How about using it? ;)

> FreeMedia does not distribute to Ambassadors, (something which probably
> will change later, at least hopefully)

Check out Word Of Mouth: http://fedoraproject.org/Marketing/WordOfMouth

Clair