[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Breaking an ambassador rule?

Wassim K. wk.20050201 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 13:20:26 UTC 2006

Hello everybody!
I should invite people and encourage them to use Fedora, however,
there are forbidden items I should avoid to talk about:
[quote]
You really should not be directing people to copyright infringing code
with your Fedora Ambassador hat on. This means, that with the
exception of what we provide in Fedora Core, or Fedora Extras, you are
not to be telling people to go and get other 3rd party applications
(that can read their PDFs better, or play their illegal MP3 music).
Pointing them to a resource like Google, or the FedoraFAQ might be a
good idea, but don't send them to a third-party repository.
[/quote]
If I respect this rule, I will lose users. Most of my friends and
people I meet don't (or did not) know anything about Fedora, and if I
tell them "google for this", this won't help me a lot. I explain:
In Tunisia, piracy is not a tabu thing: there're no "digital" laws,
and even if there are, they are not seriously respected. Thus, anyone
can get CD's of Windows, Office, Adobe and Macromedia softwares,
development environment (Visual Studio and so), etc. All this stuff
for less than $10! This is not really clandestine, since you may find
in Tunis hundreds of shops where it's written "gravure logiciels pour
1 dinar".
What I wanted to say, is that "restrictions" and fairness won't
convert curious and hesitating people; besides, if they have to use
Linux, they automatically choose Mandriva and SuSe: they like their
interfaces!
Here are some frequent answers when I talk about restrictions in Fedora:
"Why do I have to care about USA? Do I seem to live there? They even
refused to me a student visa"
"With Linux, I can't play my favorite games, do you want me to forget
my favorite music too?"
"If you offer me an OGG player, then I will convert all my MP3's to OGG"
"It's the first time that I legally get a DVD, and I'm not allowed to
watch it?""I paid $500 for this camera, I want at least to watch
scenes I made"
There are more serious ones:
"I use J2E for living; if I migrate from Windows, then I have to find
Sun's Java on the other OS"

I can't say that I haven't broken this condition; yes, I did,
otherwise, people would not accept to install Fedora: I have a CD
containing only a tarball archive and a bash script, if you execute
the script, it will install everything missing in /usr/local , and I
admit it's one of the points that made me succeed to promote and
spread Fedora around friends and people asking for help. I'm not doing
a mea culpa, but I think that I have to inform Fedora ambassadors
about my infraction, if you may call it so. Nothing is illegal anyway:
There's no law here that prohibits using MP3; besides, according to
the licenses, I'm allowed to copy and distribute the non open source
softwares "as is".
What do you think, dear ambassadors, and what ideas do you suggest?
Attracting people, event if they are not that serious, or sermonizing,
which makes them escape?

--
You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to
your grandmother.