[Ambassadors] Re: [Fedora-freemedia-list] Fwd: LiveCD & Media Distribution

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 8 11:27:57 UTC 2006

Santosh Kumar wrote:
> Hi fellow ambassadors,
>  LiveCD is a wonderful idea... a LiveCD is the only thing in Ubuntu
> that impressed me apart from their Media Distribution.....
>  What do you guys think about a company sponsoring the complete Media
> Requests for fedora like Canonical does for Ubuntu?? wouldnt it be a
> good move??

Its very cost and time inefficient to do centralized distribution. Red
Hat did try sending media disks to ambassadors for every event and that
worked out to be a bad idea since we were spending all our limited
budgets on transactions costs. For more details see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Accounting.  So now we reimburse after
local production from ambassadors instead. Red Hat and FAMSco did send
out some media to Thomas Chung a while back to Free media distribution
though. There is also http://www.freelinuxdisk.org/ which will get a
chunk of Free media of Fedora Core 6 shortly.

  It is not always quite effective when we just ship out
> around 150-200 Media a month when our competitors ship more than a
> 1000.... and i am sceptical about the effectiveness of the ambassadors
> distributing the Free Media in Fedora, as this manpower could be used
> in a better way..... and not everyone would like to shell out to
> distribute the FreeMedia DVD's, so this always falls on to a single
> person to take up the costs of the Media....
> Dont you think we need to rethink our strategy??

It doesnt have to fall in a single person at all. Many regions have
multiple people doing this though we would always welcome more
contributors.

Remember that Free media is just one form of distribution.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution. Unless you plan on getting
more organizations to sponsor such efforts, the current method is the
best way we can spend our funds in this.

More official Live media releases would be nice. We will see what we can
do about that in the next release. Meanwhile check out

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2006-August/msg00013.html

Rahul