[Ambassadors] Re: [Fedora-freemedia-list] Fwd: LiveCD & Media Distribution

Karlie Robinson karlie.robinson at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 8 09:17:57 UTC 2006

Rahul wrote:
> Santosh Kumar wrote:
>> around 150-200 Media a month when our competitors ship more than a
>> 1000.... and i am sceptical about the effectiveness of the ambassadors
>> distributing the Free Media in Fedora, as this manpower could be used
>> in a better way..... and not everyone would like to shell out to
>> distribute the FreeMedia DVD's, so this always falls on to a single
>> person to take up the costs of the Media....
>> Dont you think we need to rethink our strategy??
>>

> It doesnt have to fall in a single person at all. Many regions have
> multiple people doing this though we would always welcome more
> contributors.
>
> Remember that Free media is just one form of distribution.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution. Unless you plan on getting
> more organizations to sponsor such efforts, the current method is the
> best way we can spend our funds in this.
> Rahul

First thing we should all remember about business, is that any company
shelling out gobs of money will want something in return.  You'll need
to ask what that is and is it at a price the project can afford?

The individuals who fill FreeMedia requests are also getting something
in return, but what they get back is personal.  Like the warm fuzzies
one-on-one gifting brings.

Besides isn't there a major company already underwriting most of what
Fedora does... Name is about to spill out... Red... Car?  House?  Oh
yeah!  Red Hat!

The work that the Ambassadors do is more than a faceless mail room
pumping out discs.  Face time with users at events, talks and FUDCon's
is priceless.

It gives fedora a face and a name.  A mailroom pumping out discs can't
do that.  (also makes me think about the hundreds of AOL discs I've
thrown out over the years)

Paying forward is a slow process, but the return is greater.