[Ambassadors] Re: [Fedora-freemedia-list] Fwd: LiveCD & Media Distribution

Alex Maier lxmaier at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 20:09:04 UTC 2006

On 9/8/06, Karlie Robinson <karlie.robinson at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> So let's not worry about keeping up with the neighbors and focus on what
> we're doing well.

+1, many times over!

For two reasons, actually.

Reason 1.
We are doing quite well considering that six months ago there was
exactly zero possibility for us to distribute Fedora installation
media for free. Since then we have expanded this project, wich started
with Thomas burning a few dozen DVDs and mailing them out to a few
people in America, to include India, Poland, and Brazil. I am sure
there will be more countries on this list soon.
What we have achieved, is a 100% grassroots effort, proving that we
have a dedicated and active community willing to help out as much as
they can to spread Fedora. We are doing the right thing, and doing it
well.  This is something to be proud of.

Reason 2.
This is a more esotheric argument, and not everyone will agree, but in
my opinion, we as an Open Source distribution should concentrate more
on competing with the proprietary software out there instead of
battling other OSS distros. We can learn from Ubuntu, and we should.
Some of their practices can be applied in our context, and some can't.
But the main thought remains the same--we (as in FLOSS folks who like
different distros) should not waste time and energy fighting among
ourselves while there is so much more constructive work to do.

One more Thank You to all involved in spreading Fedora and Open
Source--and keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Alex Maier
http://amaier.net