[Ambassadors] Raleigh, we have a problem ...

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 21 10:38:13 UTC 2006

Dimitrios 'sehh' Michelinakis wrote:

> Suggestions:
>

> Since there is no chance of adding support for the audio/video formats we need, then at least have a button on the desktop that opens a page that contains a single "ADD EVERYTHING" option that just downloads all the required RPMs (gstreamer, mplayer, etc).

This is a suggestion given often which is not going to be implemented
because in many cases it amounts to contributory infringement.

> Cleaner boot process from GRUB to shutdown. Have a no-text policy. We either have a TEXT boot or a GRAPHICAL boot, not something in between. Ether use a smaller image in GRUB or don't use one at all. The current low quality images make us look bad.

GRUB is limited to 16 colors. Without fancy pants frame buffers or a
variation of bootsplash we are limited in what we can do with the boot
loader. Many older systems dont work well variations of bootsplash but
we still need to investigate this option further.

> When the user first logs into his desktop, display a help page/guide that explains how to do the basic operations. Give a few hinds of the names of the applications. Should i point you to the "Welcome Center" that comes with M$ Vista? or are you going to say that because M$ is doing it then we should shoot our selfs in the foot?

Feel free to implement a welcome center. It would be most "welcome" ;-)
Meanwhile we are in the midst of designing a better default page to help
end users

Refer to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/FirefoxDefaultSplash
for more information.

> PS:
> now that i took the time to write, one question has been in my mind for some time now: WHY was Helix player added in the core distro? What exactly is the reason for this junk? :)

It has been dropped in FC6 FYI

Rahul