[Ambassadors] Summary 2007 - View of an ambassador from a very small country

Fabian Affolter fab at fedoraproject.org
Sat Dec 22 22:39:19 UTC 2007

Hi all,

The year 2007 is almost over and the ambassadors have done a lot of
things to promote Fedora all over the world.  Let me do a little review
over the past 12 months.

Ambassador Membership

Today we have 283 ambassadors in 59 countries [1].

Africa : 16
America : 107
Asia : 97
Europe : 89
Oceania : 5

Unfortunately there are still a lot of potential ambassadors how have
not sign the CLA yet [2].  Every month some new ambassadors joined us.
That's great.

Events

We covered almost 60 events [3] during 2007.  This means that Fedora
Ambassadors were present ordinary every week at an event somewhere.  I
believe that we are going to cover the same amount of events in 2008
when we will go on with the same effort.  Add your events to this page [4].

Freemedia

Thomas, Karlie, and many many others (sorry for not naming everyone)
shipped in the name of the Freemedia Program over 1000 DVDs to people
how wanted to have a Fedora Install Media and can't pay for it.  Thank
you guys for spending your time (and money) to fulfill all this requests.

Meetings

After a break with our weekly meetings at the end of October, we
restarted with monthly meetings [5] in December.  So far my feelings
about the new meetings are mixed.  There are still some annoyances we
have to fix.  I hope that the meetings will bring the ambassadors more
together and that the exchange will improve our work as ambassadors in
the future.  The co-leadership issue is NOT solved right now and we are
still looking for a contributor to lead the APAC area...please, if you
are willing to support the meeting leader sign up as a co-leader or as a
leader for APAC. Thanks in advance.

- Ambassadors Meeting EMEA - 2007-12-12
  IRC log :
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2007-December/msg00043.html

FAD

The Fedora Ambassador Day was held twice in EMEA, one was at Berlin in
front of LinuxTag [6], the other at Rheinfelden at the end of November
[7].  Both events were a success.  A lot of stuff were discussed in a
friendly and constructive atmosphere.  I can only suggest to have FADs
all over the world because they are more effective and personal than
communication with IRC or mailing list.

Some points we discussed at the latest FAD
- Preparation of the the events in 2008
- NPO in Europe (easier for Sponsoring, legal stuff and taxes)
- Fedora Membership/Fellowship
- EventBox

The next FAD will be hold before LinuxTag 2008 [9] at Berlin.

European NPO

JeroenVanMeeuwen translated the initial version, GeroldKassube
translated the "goals" from into German and sent the letter to the
financial department to check out if the goals are good enough for the
german law to be confirmed as "allgemeinnützig" which is related to pay
taxes or not.  Everybody will get the opportunity to see the statutes
when they are ready.

The name will be Fedora EMEA (it has been agreed upon by MaxSpevack).
It aligns with another NPO initiative JeroenVanMeeuwen is involved with
in the USA, as well as with "Fedora Project" being the official project
itself.

FAMSCo

The Steering Committee was not so loud this year [9].  After the release
of Fedora 8 has tobe an election for the next 2 release cycle. The
Nominations were: AlejandroMoncada, FrancescoUgolini, JeffreyTadlock,
JohnBabich, PabloBarrera, RodrigoPadula, SandroMathys, MukulDharwadkar,
and myself [10].
The voting period will start in January 2008 because first is the
election of the Docs Steering Committee members.

By the way, FAMSCo Election 2007 Nomination is open until Dec 28th.

Kind regards, merry Christmas, and happy new year.

Fabian

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/CountryList
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/MembershipService/Verification
[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/PastEvents/2007