[Ambassadors] Re: F11 Naming: Sulphur -> Cambridge -> <NewName>?

Yuan Yijun bbbush.yuan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 05:30:06 UTC 2008

2008/12/2 Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> It's that time of year again.  Time to start the naming process
> for the next Fedora release.
>
> To recap on the rules:
>
> 1) <NewName> must have some link to Cambridge
>
> More specifically, the link should be
>        Cambridge is a <blank> and
>        <NewName> is a <blank>
> Where <blank> is the same for both
>
> 2) The link between <NewName> and Cambridge cannot be the same as
> between Sulphur and Cambridge.  That link was "both are cities".
>
> We're doing the name collection differently this year than in
> the past.  Contributors wishing to make a suggestion are asked to
> go to the F11 naming wiki page, and add an entry to the suggestion
> table found there:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_11
>
> The naming submissions are open starting now until Dec 8.  The
> rest of the schedule is outlined on the wiki page.
>
> So, put on your thinking caps and come up with some really good
> suggestions!
>
> Happy naming.

I think we may find a good name on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabindranath_Tagore

There is a famous peom 'Saying Goodbye to Cambridge Again' written by
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xu_Zhimo at 1922. Quote from wikipedia:

"To commemorate Xu Zhimo, in July, 2008, a white marble stone has been
installed at the back of King's College, University of Cambridge, on
which is inscribed a verse from Xu's best-known poem, 'Saying Goodbye
to Cambridge Again'."

Since Cambridge is part of a poem, then we can always find a good poem
with a sound title. I'd suggest "Crescent Moon" (of Tagore) because of
the close relationship: Xu Zhimo also started a group called that
name. Also we used "Solar" as artwork theme in Fedora 10.

But this word seems to have been used by another software company, and
a perl module(?), etc. I am not sure about the google result. Also it
have close relationship with Mid-East, isn't it. India people may have
more to say about Tagore.

--
bbbush ^_^