[Ambassadors] spending our Q4 money smartly and globally

Thomas Canniot thomas.canniot at mrtomlinux.org
Mon Dec 8 20:39:41 UTC 2008

Le Mon, 8 Dec 2008 12:27:39 +0100 (CET),
Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> a écrit :

> Hi Ambassadors,
>
> I'm a bit late with this, but I want to start talking about how we
> can divide up our Q4 money worldwide.
>
> There are two very specific goals that I have for the current round
> of budget:
>
> (1) Support the events that are taking place in December, January,
> and February.
>
> (2) Give regions the resources that they need to create swag, CDs,
> and any sort of marketing materials that the regional leadership
> wants. The hope is that all the stuff created can last for the
> entirety of the Fedora 10 release cycle, or reusable resources that
> folks need.  In short, long-term planning with short-term money.
>
> ===============
>
> I've combined the "Global events and swag" line item with the "Fedora
> 10 marketing" line item, and removed a few thousand dollars to stash
> aside as a "buffer" that I like to maintain each quarter, for the
> unexpected.
>
> With that in mind, I want to discuss how we can allocate about $23k
> wisely.
>
> ===============
>
> I'm going to start with EMEA, because all year long, I've been
> planning that a big chunk of this Q4 money needs to go to the
> Fedora-fr team, to really jump-start their 2009 planning, give them
> the resources that they need for Linux Solutions, and to cover some
> swag production and smaller events that they organize.  To that end,
> I'm going to earmark $5,000 USD for Fedora France (about 4000 EUR at
> today's exchange rates).  My hope is that we can give Fedora France
> most of the money they'll need for 2009 now, and future budget needs
> will be a bit smaller.  Feedback from the French team would be great.
>
> Another $5,000 USD (about 4000 EUR) should cover the rest of EMEA not
> only for Q4 (which includes FOSDEM), but also for creating any swag
> that will be used further down the road.  I think that we need some
> new posters (the old ones are getting pretty beaten up), stickers, or
> whatever else folks want to purchase.
>
> EMEA -- about $10,000 USD total (about 8000 EUR), which will be
> transferred to either Fedora-fr non-profit or the Fedora EMEA e.V.
> non-profit.

Hello Max !

I'm very glad you decided to lend us such amount of money. This is
obviously the higher amount we cold have dreamt of.
I say "lend" because it represent an investment from Fedora Project to
lend this money, as the whole projet benefits from the incredible job
that every French ambassador achieve on his own.  This lets us a wide
field of action to actively promote fedora in France AND other French
speaking countries, which are going to be more and more our targets in
the upcoming months.

As usual, if we have more money than we have dreams, we will not
accept  more money and will continue to live on what you offered us.

We had a successful install fest this week end, I will come very soon
with a little report about it with nice pictures. ;)

Thanks a lot,

Regards

Thomas Canniot