[Ambassadors] Re: spending our Q4 money (README)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 14:59:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 08:45:52AM -0600, inode0 wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 8:55 AM, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >
> >> One possibility I had previously raised with the NA guys was purchasing a
> >> nicer backdrop for our "big" shows, to give a more polished, professional
> >> appearance.  Expenditures that help our appearance should take a back seat
> >> to those that help produce more substantial project growth.  Nevertheless it
> >> would be nice to have a booth setup that is self-contained and
> >> free-standing.
> >
> > Well, things like this -- investment in resources that can be used at
> > multiple events during the coming calendar year -- is exactly what I'm
> > hoping to spend some of the Q4 budget on.  This is a lighter quarter for
> > events, and therefore if we purchase the stuff that we need for events, when
> > the heavy event quarters come back around next year, we'll have more money
> > for travel and things like that.
> >
> > I want to invest in the infrastructure of Ambassadors while we have the
> > chance to.
>
> Given our media needs for F10 I'm not sure we have the chance this
> quarter even though our event schedule is light. We still need to
> purchase the media in fairly large quantities.
>
> The goal of investing in permanent infrastructure is one I think we
> all agree with. After OLF we spent some time looking at vendors who
> provide backdrops similar to the one our next door neighbors used at
> that event. Those are fairly expensive and have a couple of other
> downsides to remember. Due to cost we probably could only get one and
> use it at the very largest conferences. It would be an item that would
> require additional recurring shipping charges. It would not remotely
> fit into an event box so it would require separate shipping and
> transportation to each event.
>
> There are less expensive, more portable, and still nice and polished
> display options. These often go by the name of banner stands. Here is
> one that was recommended during our discussions last evening.
>
> http://www.postupstand.com/products/scrolling-banner.htm
>
> These are available in more or less fancy flavors and can be sized to
> be transported inside event boxes which would be a bonus to the event
> organizers, reduce recurring shipping costs, and make them available
> to a broader range of events.
>
> While I love the nice big professional backdrop for the booth I also
> think we might get a bigger bang for our advertising dollar by
> starting with something smaller.

Options are great!  In no way do I want to dictate the type of booth
setup materials that we buy, nor do I want our booth to look just like
someone else's.  I would just like something nicer than what we have
-- if and only if our budget will support it without shorting more
pressing needs.  Honestly, I would leave the comparisons and decision
making up to the Ambassadors and FAMSCo, as it should be.