[Ambassadors] Fedora NPO

Gerold gerold at lugd.org
Thu Feb 14 11:54:12 UTC 2008

Hello Ambassador World,

as you might have read, Jeroen and me are trying to found a
Non-profit-Organisation (aka NPO) for Europe and we want to found this
FEDORA EMEA entity @ FOSDEM ...

In the past few days I have to answer a lot of questions because it seems
that we haven´t done our homework very well to announce, explain and
answer the questions of everybody of you ...

So what shall we do right now? Shall we postpone the founding and use the
FOSDEM as a Q&A event from our side? Should we found this NPO?

BTW: Let me explain a few things about thinking about that NPO:
We (Jeroen and me and a lot of other Ambassador attending the FAD EMEA
2007) thought we found this NPO in GERMANY (depends on German Law) BECAUSE
I personaly founded such a NPO,  "my" local LinuxUser Group Loerrach. This
NPO -in which I hold the chair at the moment- is acknoledged by German law
to spend tax reductable donation receipts (for companys, members,
everyone) ...
Back to the basics (of that German law of founding) ...
First you need to be seven legal persons who are willing to found such a NPO.
Second, you need to meet face-to-face.
Third, ONLY people from THIS foundational meeting are allowed to
- accept and vote for the statutes
- elect the BOARD of the NPO who much attend that meeting in person
FOURTH, In the statutes who are in German, you give the frame of your
entity and its Goals, Amount of Board, membership fee and so on.
That´s I hope are all dependencies who must be fullfilled to 100% ...

Any comments? Ideas? Doubts?

Let me/us know!

Gerold