[Ambassadors] idea for *every* event

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 13:27:08 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 22:41 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 13:25 -0500, Max Spevack wrote:
> > Here is a proposal for two activities that we should have at every
> > event.  In particular, I'd like to see us do it at FOSDEM, FISL, and
> > LinuxTag:
> >
> > (1) A "join Fedora" station.  Somewhere at the booth, there is a
> > computer or laptop with a sign on it that says "come here to join the
> > Fedora Project" or something like that.  There is one person whose job
> > is to talk to folks, get them interested in Fedora, and help them to go
> > through the CLA and WikiEditing process.  The success metric is simple:
> >     * Did the person leave having set up their Fedora Wiki homepage?
> >     * Did the person become a Fedora Ambassador?
> >     * Does the person have some idea of what they might like to
> > contribute to Fedora?
> >     * How many accounts were created at the event?
> >
> > (2) A "bring us your USB key, and we'll turn it into a Fedora LiveUSB
> > key for you" station.  Same idea as above.  We have a computer that has
> > several Fedora Spins on it.  People bring their USB key, and we run the
> > livecd-iso-to-disk tool and set their USB keys up as Fedora LiveUSB
> > keys.  Again, the metric is simple:
> >     * How many were created at the event?
> >
> > Thoughts or comments?
>
> I love these ideas. Here are some stream of consciousness thoughts that
> I have around this:
>
> * Could we make a simple application (web based or otherwise) that makes
> the "join Fedora" station really easy? In fact, this seems like an ideal
> initial target for My Fedora integration. This would also enable us to
> get better stats, automagically.

This is exactly what I've been thinking, too, q.v.:

  http://paul.frields.org/?p=912

If this application *also* was able to start somehow in the context of
the user's first signin (or opening a browser), that would be great too.
But the important part is to get people through the joining process in a
way that is (1) relatively easy to modify as our joining process
changes, and (2) dead-simple for users who may not have detailed
technical knowledge.  Contributors come in all forms, not just
developers.

> * Maybe we could also have a application front-end for liveUSB creation,
> showing the ISO spins in a directory and showing the USB keys that it
> sees plugged in, then has a nice GUI "making USB key" with progress bar.
>
> Old-world model: Each region gets a machine specifically dedicated to
> these tasks.
> New-world model: Every machine at an event can perform either of these
> tasks.

+1.