[Ambassadors] Fedora Local Language Spins

Juan Rodriguez nushio at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 25 19:57:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Igor Pires Soares <igorsoares at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Em Dom, 2008-02-24 às 22:00 -0500, Max Spevack escreveu:
> > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Johan Cwiklinski wrote:
> >
> > > It will be cool to officialize this method for localization of live
> > > spins. Could we achieve a procedure for submitting localized .ks files
> > > based on official Fedora live cds ?
> >
> > One of my goals for the year is for us to have localized spins at every
> > event that we attend.
> >
> > This involves:
> >
> > (1) Getting kickstart files that are approved, have good package sets,
> > and are updated for the current Fedora release for each event that we go
> > to on the Fedora Events wiki page.  Consistency here is very important.
> > I think we should use the work that Rahul has already been doing, and
> > simply expand it out to French, German, Spanish, Italian, Brazilian
> > Portuguese, etc. etc.
>
> I am interested in a Fedora Spin for Brazilian Portuguese, but there are
> a few things I am concerned about.
>
> For instance, the use of Codeina. It doesn't make sense here in Brazil
> because people should have an international credit card to pay for the
> codecs, besides the interface is not even translated. This is critical
> to warn the users about the use of this codecs.
>
> The easiest solution is to drop codeina from our spin, the other one
> could be offer a different implementation respecting each national
> legislation about IP. I don't have the legal background to talk about
> it, but we could investigate the possibility to offer via Codeina those
> codecs that are not possible in the US. Additionally, other local groups
> could investigate if there are problems with the current implementation,
> there may be countries more restricted than US.
>
> I know this is very complex and controversial, but I am just thinking
> about the possible scenarios and just for distribution in events.
>
> The translation issue could we solved integrating Codeina into the
> Transifex system, since it does not appear to be available in the GNOME
> project translations as well.
>
> Local Language spins are definitely a good idea and we could improve it
> respecting the local differences, which by the way turns it in a more
> complicated issue.
>
> Regards,
> Igor Pires Soares

Thats a very good question Igor,

Can local spins include FOSS that could otherwise not be included?
For instance, in Mexico there are no such things as software patents. Thus
making things like DVD CSS and MP3 patents not legal, of course we're
supposed to respect the patents of USA and Canada, but as far as I know that
has yet to be tested in court and IANAL.

Regardless of the situation in Mexico the question is still valid, would it
be allowed to release a spin that includes codecs and whatnot that could not
be included in the official Fedora repositories due to patents?

--
Ing. Juan M. Rodriguez Moreno
Desarrollador de Sistemas Abiertos