[Ambassadors] Fedora Local Language Spins

Igor Pires Soares igorsoares at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 00:57:26 UTC 2008

Em Seg, 2008-02-25 às 15:02 -0600, Juan Rodriguez escreveu:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Rahul Sundaram
> <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>         Juan Rodriguez wrote:
>
>         > Regardless of the situation in Mexico the question is still
>         valid, would
>         > it be allowed to release a spin that includes codecs and
>         whatnot that
>         > could not be included in the official Fedora repositories
>         due to patents?
>

>         AFAIK, no. Official spins can only be subsets of whatever is
>         included in
>         the official Fedora repository and since Red Hat is the legal
>         entity
>         behind Fedora, any software included within Fedora needs to be
>         legal in U.S
>
>         Rahul

Note that my question is a little bit different. What I am trying to
figure out is weather we can make modifications in Codeina configuration
in order to support other codecs packages in some regions, not to
include codecs directly on the distribution, because of what Rahul and
Max said.

I am in favor to keep the local language spin package selection as near
as possible to the LiveCD, as well as the default applications. We could
just add or remove some of them to fit the local needs. That's why I am
considering this things about Codeina. The current implementation does
not correspond to our reality. If we can't change it, I see no point to
keep it in our local spin.

Regards,
Igor Pires Soares