[Ambassadors] FedoraFamily

Kushal Das kushaldas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 05:40:31 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 02:25:43 am Clint Savage wrote:
> Per a discussion with a couple people in #fudcon today, I am sending out an
> email regarding a discussion that was held at FUDCon this weekend.
>
> One of the first sessions I attended was the "Getting your parents to use
> Fedora" session, which discussed techniques and ideas for helping your
> family members and friends successfully install and run Fedora.
One success story: My parents are using Fedora from the time of Core 5 (Now at
Core 6). As I left my home for the job, they are using my old PIII, 128MB RAM
system. They never used any computer before. So, it was easy to tell them
where to click for what, my father used to have troubles with different
passwords for root and other accounts, so I changed all passwords to same and
as no internet not much threat I think. They mostly use that box for
listening to music, storing/viewing photos or watching videos. Will put some
photos later when I will be back at home.

> We had quite a lively discussion and a few good ideas were brought up from
> this discussion.  Because of this, I've started a wiki page at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraFamily to help collaborate on this
> issue.
>
> If you were involved in this discussion, or would like to participate, I
> would appreciate your help...
One point I think is the most important is the system should work out of the
box. We should not think of geeky stuffs from our parents.

Kushal
--
Fedora Ambassador, India
http://kushaldas.in